Thursday, September 11, 2014

What is real?

Something to chew on... In philosophy today we discussed Plato's idea that some things contain more reality than others. For example, material things actually contain less reality because they waste away. Whereas a mathematical truth like 2+2=4, has no tangibility (no way to smell, feel, touch, taste, or hear) BUT is more real because it will always stand true no matter what... Could it be then that our theory for needing to "see to believe" may be a giant fluke? We trust in mathematics and through them, have made all kinds of progress and incredible things but though we can still use math to create, math is still not physically tangible... I think Plato was onto something... I think Christ is as real as it gets, more real than a mathematical truth. He IS the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6). I think he tried so hard to outline this for us because he knew we would come up with separate ideas of what is "the way" and what is "truth". He knew that since He is in everything and since He is truth, that when we really sought truth, we would find him. I cannot explain how a mathematical equation can have such a realness, but I can't argue it because it is true and will stand no matter what I throw at it. So when I buckle down and dissect, all I can find is Christ- all powerful, all knowing, all true, everlasting. Thanks God for being in everything, for being more real than anything I've ever known.


"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8


"Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the INFINITE  value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ." Phillipians 3:8


"He is before all things, and in him all things hold together." Colossians 1:17

No comments:

Post a Comment